start of content
PDSA vets sew up dog's problem
Daisy with PDSA vet nurse Jo Buller
Canine curiosity led to a life-saving operation for lovable Shih Tzu Daisy from Beechwood, Middlesbrough, after the dog swallowed a two inch sewing needle complete with thread.
Expert Vets at Middlesbrough PDSA PetAid hospital removed the foreign body after an x-ray revealed it was lodged at the back of Daisy’s throat.
PDSA head nurse, Stephanie Williams, said the prompt veterinary care that Daisy received probably saved her life.
She said: “If the needle had become dislodged from the back of her tongue, it could have pierced her intestines as it travelled down her digestive tract, putting her at risk of developing deadly peritonitis.”
Daisy’s drama unfolded when owner, Kerry Woodier, picked up her Shih Tzu Daisy from her mother’s home one evening.
Daisy appeared to have a problem with her throat and was being sick regularly and yelping in pain. Despite having a look inside her dog’s mouth, Kerry (35) could not see anything out of the ordinary.
Worried by her beloved dog’s symptoms, Kerry rushed her to the PDSA PetAid hospital in Middlesbrough. These quick-thinking actions probably saved Daisy’s life.
PDSA vets at the hospital in Acklam Road carried out a thorough examination and an x-ray soon revealed the reason behind Daisy’s discomfort – a two-inch long needle, with the thread still attached, was stuck in the back of her tongue. The vets carefully removed it whilst Daisy was under the anaesthetic and she was later allowed home with painkillers and antibiotics.
Kerry said her mother had been sewing the previous evening and a needle must have fallen into a large rug in the living room. She said: “When I took Daisy round she must have swallowed it. She just kept whining and whenever you touched her throat or whenever she ate something she would yelp. I thought she had swallowed a sharp chew or something similar but I had a look and couldn’t see anything.”
Kerry said that both she and her five-year-old daughter, Abigail, were extremely grateful to PDSA vets for the care given to Daisy.
Stephanie said that Daisy had gone on to make a full recovery, but she issued a warning to pet owners to be careful to avoid leaving any sharp or shiny objects on floors in the home. She said pets may be tempted to eat or play with them and warned they can be easily swallowed. It is particularly important, if you see a needle in a pet’s throat, not to attempt to pull it out. If there is thread attached this can cause the intestines to ‘concertina’ as you extract the needle – and could prove fatal.
PDSA has a free leaflet giving pet owners advice about safety in the home, which can be downloaded for free from the website – www.pdsa.org.uk/leaflets
Middlesbrough PDSA PetAid hospital provides free veterinary treatment to the sick and injured pets of local people in need. For more information on PDSA or to enquire about eligibility please call 0800 7312502.
An x-ray showing the needle lodged at the back of Daisy's tongue