start of content
Six-month old golden Labrador, Jack, ate the entire alphabet of fridge magnets in a midnight snack-attack and had to be rushed to PDSA’s Plymouth PetAid hospital the day after he’d been in for a castration operation.
Jack’s owner, Emma Keers, said: “After Jack’s surgery, he was sleepy after the anaesthetic so I put him in the kitchen to recover overnight. The next morning I noticed the whole alphabet was missing from the fridge though Jack wasn’t showing any signs of being ill. He can be quite greedy though and I suspected straight away that something was up so took him back to PDSA where x-rays showed he’d eaten something he shouldn’t have!”
The senior veterinary surgeon, Robert Newcombe, at Plymouth PetAid hospital, said: “We had to operate straight away with both a gastrotomy where we opened up his tummy and an enterotomy to remove more pieces of fridge magnets that had made their way to his intestine. The letters were well chewed and not easy to identify and as well as finding around 30 pieces of chewed plastic, he had eaten some white rubbery cloth!”
Jack stayed in for a couple of days to recover and within a week was back to his normal self. Emma said he now sleeps in the utility room well away from the fridge though she admitted she’s not buying any more fridge magnets!
Plymouth PDSA PetAid hospital provides free veterinary treatment for the pets of owners who are unable to afford private vets fees. For more information on PDSA services, log onto www.pdsa.org.uk or call freephone 0800 731 2502.
You can also download free copies of PDSA’s Responsible Pet Care leaflets, including the PDSA Safety Indoors leaflet. Leaflets can also be picked up from PDSA PetAid hospitals and shops nationwide.