Chinchillas are cute pets, but what do they need to be healthy and happy?
Here’s a quick check list of things I need:
- A large clean enclosure with different levels, kept in a quiet place indoors
- I need hay or grass available at all times, some chinchilla nuggets and a teaspoon of fresh greens every day
- I love to jump and climb, so I need different levels to explore. I also need a daily dust bath
- Company from another chinchilla - I don't like to be kept on my own. Two males or two females, that have grown up together, is the best pairing
- A vet to treat me if I am sick or injured
- I don’t really like to be cuddled
We have lots of really good video's showing our vets and nurses caring for pets, why don't you watch today.
Below is a video that shows PDSA vet, James, speaking about some of the things you should consider before getting a new pet. Having a pet is a big responsibility and he says that pets like dogs, cats and rabbits should all be vaccinated, neutered and insured. He says that pets need our time and love, with time spent playing and taking them for walks every day, and that anyone thinking about getting a pet also needs to fully consider all the costs that will be involved.
We have lots more video’s you can watch on our Watch page.
1 link on this page is in in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. In order to view it you will need the free Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer.
Your Right Pet
Choosing 'Your Right Pet' is the most important decision a new pet owner can make.
Use our online tool to find out which animal might be the right pet for you.
PDSA treats over 8,800
sick and injured
pets every day.
Read about hero animals who have been awarded
PDSA medals for
Our pet heros
Catch up with the
latest news from
Pet Protectors HQ.
Read Animal News
Upload a Photo
Show everyone how
cute your pet is!
Don't miss our latest competitions.
Want to be a vet?
Discover what it's
like to work as a
Subscribe to Animal Antics
Receive our fab kids
magazine and become a member of the Pet Protectors Club - all for £12 a year! Join here today!
Share this page via your mobile phone: