It might seem that guinea pigs are very easy to look after, but they have five very important needs. Do you know what they are?
Here’s a quick check list of things I need:
- A large, clean weatherproof home that can be moved indoors when it gets cold
- Cosy, clean bedding, such as hay or straw
- Plenty of hay to eat everyday, I also like guinea pig nuggets and washed fruit and vegetables
- Plenty of fresh drinking water from a clean bottle
- A large exercise run on a safe, grassy area
- Company from another guinea pig of the same sex – I don't like to be kept on my own. Remember not to keep me with rabbits as we can bully each other
- A gnawing block to wear my teeth down
- A brush to groom my coat if I'm long-haired
- Toys, like tubes and shelters, so I don’t get bored and can hide when I want to
- Remember, to gently handle me from a young age so I can get used to people
- A vet to treat me if I am sick or injured
We have lots of brillaint videos showing our vets and nurses caring for pets. Why don't you watch today?
Below is a video that shows PDSA vet, James, speaking about some of the things you should consider before getting a new pet. Having a pet is a big responsibility and he says that pets like dogs, cats and rabbits should all be vaccinated, neutered and insured. He says that pets need our time and love, with time spent playing and exercising them every day, and that anyone thinking about getting a pet also needs to fully consider all the costs that will be involved.
We have lots more video's you can watch on our Watch page.
We have a great poster you can download and print out to keep at home.
Just click on the link below to get your copy today.
Download our pet files page on Guinea Pigs (PDF - 449 KB)
1 link on this page is in in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. In order to view it you will need the free Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer.
Your Right Pet
Choosing 'Your Right Pet' is the most important decision a new pet owner can make.
Use our online tool to find out which animal might be the right pet for you.
PDSA treats over 8,800
sick and injured
pets every day.
Upload a Photo
Show everyone how
cute your pet is!
Want to be a vet?
Discover what it's
like to work as a
Don't miss our latest competitions.
Catch up with the
latest news from
Pet Protectors HQ.
Read Animal News
Subscribe to Animal Antics
Receive our fab kids
magazine and become a member of the Pet Protectors Club - all for £12 a year! Join here today!
Share this page via your mobile phone: