Hamsters are popular pets and, as with all of our pets, they have five welfare needs to keep them healthy and happy. Do you know what they are?
Here’s a quick check list of things I need:
- A large, clean cage kept in a quiet place inside. Remember, I like to sleep during the day and don’t like to be woken up!
- Plenty of fresh drinking water from a bottle and hamster mix containing seeds, grains and nuts. I also like small amounts of washed fruit and vegetables
- An exercise wheel without gaps as my feet and legs can get trapped
- Toys - like cardboard tubes so I don’t get bored
- A gnawing block to wear my teeth down
- Company or being on my own - golden hamsters like to live alone and dwarf hamsters like to be kept together
- A brush to keep long-haired coats healthy
- Remember, to gently handle me from a young age so I can get used to people
- A vet to treat me if I am sick or injured
We have lots of really good video's showing our vets and nurses caring for pets, why don't you watch today.
Below is a video that shows PDSA vet, James, speaking about some of the things you should consider before getting a new pet. Having a pet is a big responsibility and he says that pets like dogs, cats and rabbits should all be vaccinated, neutered and insured. He says that pets need our time and love, with time spent playing and taking them for walks every day, and that anyone thinking about getting a pet also needs to fully consider all the costs that will be involved.
We have lots more video’s you can watch on our Watch page.
We have a great poster you can download and print out to keep at home.
Just click on the link below to download your copy today
Download our Pet files page on Hamsters (PDF - 5.77 MB)
1 link on this page is in in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. In order to view it you will need the free Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer.
Your Right Pet
Choosing 'Your Right Pet' is the most important decision a new pet owner can make.
Use our online tool to find out which animal might be the right pet for you.
PDSA treats over 8,800
sick and injured
pets every day.
Read about hero animals who have been awarded
PDSA medals for
Our pet heros
Upload a Photo
Show everyone how
cute your pet is!
Want to be a vet?
Discover what it's
like to work as a
Subscribe to Animal Antics
Receive our fab kids
magazine and become a member of the Pet Protectors Club - all for £12 a year! Join here today!
Catch up with the
latest news from
Pet Protectors HQ.
Read Animal News
Share this page via your mobile phone: