Rats make great pets! But do you know how to care for them properly? Find out how you can provide the five things they need to be healthy and happy.
Here’s a quick check list of things I need:
- A large, clean cage kept in a quiet place inside. I like my cage to have different levels so I can climb and a dark nest box to sleep in too
- I like rat nuggets to give me all the nutrients I need, and plenty of fresh drinking water
- An exercise wheel without gaps as my feet and legs can get trapped
- A gnawing block to wear my teeth down
- Toys, like tubes and shelters, so I don't get bored and can hide when I want to
- Company from another rat – I don't like to be kept on my own. Two females that have grown up together is the best pairing
- A vet to treat me if I am sick or injured
- Remember to gently handle me from a young age so I can get used to people
We have lots of really good video's showing our vets and nurses caring for pets, why don't you watch today.
Below is a video that shows PDSA vet, James, speaking about some of the things you should consider before getting a new pet. Having a pet is a big responsibility and he says that pets like dogs, cats and rabbits should all be vaccinated, neutered and insured. He says that pets need our time and love, with time spent playing and taking them for walks every day, and that anyone thinking about getting a pet also needs to fully consider all the costs that will be involved.
We have lots more video’s you can watch on our Watch page
We have a great poster you can download and print out to keep at home.
Just click on the link below to download your copy today
Download our Pet files page on Rats (PDF - 4.73 MB)
1 link on this page is in in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. In order to view it you will need the free Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer.
Your Right Pet
Choosing 'Your Right Pet' is the most important decision a new pet owner can make.
Use our online tool to find out which animal might be the right pet for you.
Read about hero animals who have been awarded
PDSA medals for
Our pet heros
Upload a Photo
Show everyone how
cute your pet is!
Don't miss our latest competitions.
Catch up with the
latest news from
Pet Protectors HQ.
Read Animal News
Want to be a vet?
Discover what it's
like to work as a
Subscribe to Animal Antics
Receive our fab kids
magazine and become a member of the Pet Protectors Club - all for £12 a year! Join here today!
Share this page via your mobile phone: