All About PDSA
Find out more about the UK's leading veterinary charity.
Who we help, why we help and how can you help!
- PDSA is the UK's leading veterinary charity. This means that we treat sick and injured pets, but rely on donations and public support to run our veterinary services.
- PDSA cares for the pets of people who can't afford the services of a private vet.
- The charity treats more than 8,800 sick and injured animals every working day and helps pet owners learn about responsible pet care.
- This year we will provide more than 2 million free treatments to sick and injured pets!
- It will cost more than £53 million to provide treatments for sick and injured pets.
- PDSA is entirely funded by support from the public.
- PDSA can treat these sick and injured animals because of kind donations from the public and the volunteers and customers in our stores.
- There are many ways you can help us do this. How about doing a sponsored event or giving unwanted clothes or toys to a PDSA shop?
- Find out more ways to help PDSA and visit our fundraising section.
- PDSA began on 17 November 1917 and was started by a fantastic lady called Maria Dickin.
- People used to use animals to help them earn a living, if their animal became ill then they could not earn any money.
- It was too expensive to get their animals treated by a vet, so their animals would suffer and people could not earn any money.
- So Maria Dickin started PDSA to help the sick and injured animals of people in need.
- Today PDSA helps the sick and injured animals of people in need, treating pets rather than working animals.
There are 2 links on this page which are in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. In order to view them you will need the free Acrobat Reader software installed on your computer.
Want to be a vet?
Discover what it's
like to work as a
PDSA treats over 8,800
sick and injured
pets every day.
Read about hero animals who have been awarded
PDSA medals for
Our pet heros
Share this page via your mobile phone: