- Rabbits need company of their own kind to feel happy and safe, so they should always be kept in pairs or groups.
- However, they can also get pregnant from around 12 weeks old, so it’s important to know what sex they are so you can avoid this.
- You can tell the sex of most rabbits from around six weeks old.
- Get someone to hold your rabbit on their lap and lift their front end while supporting their bottom.
- Part their fur, place a finger each side of their genitals, then gently press down.
- If your rabbit is male, his penis will come out, which is a pink tube with a circular hole at the end. Don’t rely on seeing his testicles because they often hide them while they’re being examined.
- If your rabbit is female, you will see her vulva, which is small and pointy and has a slit-shaped opening. It can sometimes look a bit like a tube, but look carefully at the shape of the opening, and you’ll see that it’s a slit - not a circular hole
- What is a female rabbit called?
- What is a male rabbit called?
- When should I neuter my rabbit?
- How long is a rabbit pregnant?
- What sex rabbits are best together?
- When do male rabbits become sexually mature?
- Do female rabbits hump?
- Do female rabbits have periods?
What is a female rabbit called?
A female rabbit is called a doe.
What is a male rabbit called?
A male rabbit is called a buck.
When should I neuter my rabbit?
Most female rabbits can be neutered from five months old, and males from ten weeks old. Check out our page on Rabbit neutering.
How long is a rabbit pregnant?
Rabbits are pregnant for approximately 31 days.
What sex rabbits are best together?
Rabbits need company of their own kind to feel happy and safe, so they should always be kept in pairs or groups. The best pairings tend to be a neutered male and a neutered female. Groups of neutered males and females can also work very well, but it’s important to make sure they have enough space, and resources such as feeding stations, water bowls, bedding, litter trays, and hiding places.
When do male rabbits become sexually mature?
Male rabbits can become sexually mature (able to breed) from around three months old.
Do female rabbits hump?
Yes, female rabbits hump to show dominance without fighting. This behaviour is much less common in neutered females.
Do female rabbits have periods?
No, unlike humans female rabbits do not bleed as part of being fertile – in fact, they are induced ovulators, meaning they release eggs in response to being mated, so can get pregnant at any time.
Published: February 2023
Did you find this page useful?
Tell us more
Please note, our vets and nurses are unable to respond to questions via this form. If you are concerned about your pet’s health, please contact your vet directly.
Thank you for your feedback
Want to hear more about PDSA and get pet care tips from our vet experts?Sign up to our e-newsletter
Written by vets and vet nurses. This advice is for UK pets only. Illustrations by Samantha Elmhurst.