- Fleas are tiny insects that can live on dogs, cats, rabbits and in your home.
- Fleas cause itchy skin, spread disease and can bite humans.
- Some cats are allergic to flea bites and suffer severe irritation every time they are bitten.
- Fleas feed on blood and can cause anaemia (significant blood loss) in young, old or ill pets.
- Preventing fleas is easy – use a licensed veterinary flea product regularly.
- WARNING: Some flea treatments for dogs are highly toxic to cats.
At the moment, your veterinary practice might not be able to dispense your cat’s usual prescription flea treatment. Non-prescription products might be available online and from pet shops, which you may need to consider using until your vet is operating a full service again.
If you are concerned, or your pet has a specific condition which requires a prescription flea treatment, contact your vet to discuss what to do.
Never use a dog flea treatment on a cat.