Hugo dodges death after eating six packs of chocolate coins and their foil wrappers

A six-year-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier from Plymouth called Hugo narrowly avoided a Christmas catastrophe after eating six packets of milk chocolate coins, including their foil wrappers.

Hugo’s owner, Amie, said: “I’d only been to the shops briefly and came back to find torn up packets and bits of foil all over the floor, with the chocolate gone!

“At first, Hugo seemed fine, but I felt sick with worry when he began vomiting blood. He then had a seizure which was terrifying, so I called PDSA immediately.”

Amie contacted the PDSA Pet Hospital in Plymouth, and PDSA vets advised her to bring Hugo in. She rushed Hugo to the Pet Hospital where he was assessed, sedated and x-rayed.

X-rays revealed his stomach was full of foil, and the decision was made that he needed emergency surgery. An intricate and lengthy operation confirmed his stomach was full of foil wrappers, which were causing severe damage and had to be removed.

PDSA Vet Nurse Donna Southwould, who helped look after Hugo, said: “Hugo was kept in overnight after his major surgery. He needed an intravenous fluid drip, medication and intensive nursing care to aid his recovery. He was very lucky and could have died if he had not been treated in time. While he’s not completely out of the woods yet, thankfully, Hugo is now at home on strict rest and on the road to recovery.

Photo of Winston

“Many of us have treats, sweets and chocolates in the house, and while the festive period can be a time for indulgence, it’s important to remember that some of these foods are very harmful to our pets. Foods including chocolate, mince pies, onions, raisins, grapes, some nuts, sage-and-onion stuffing and Christmas cake can all be harmful and should be kept safely out of paws’ reach.”

Amie said: “I don’t know what I would have done without the incredibly kind and caring staff at PDSA – they were amazing. I honestly don’t think Hugo would be here without them. They went above and beyond for him, and I will be forever grateful. There were a number of times I thought we were going to lose him, so to have him home for Christmas is a miracle.”

Thankfully, Hugo is recovering, but we’re warning all owners to keep their pets away from toxic treats and dangers this Christmas.

If you think your pet might have eaten something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately as they might need urgent treatment.

PDSA is the UK’s leading veterinary charity. Through our 48 Pet Hospitals and Pet Care scheme, we save the lives of poorly pets who would otherwise be left untreated.

Every year, we helped over 388,000 pets. Without us, emergency cases like Hugo's would be left untreated and many pets could lose their lives or be separated from families who love them.

We wouldn’t be here for dogs like Hugo without your support. Please consider donating today.

Give pets like Hugo a fighting chance

Pets who have been there for us during the pandemic deserve somewhere to turn when they need life-saving treatment.

Your help will save pets like Hugo

Every £1 donated will help us make sure sick and injured pets get the treatment they desperately need.

Donate now

Where to next?

Sign up to our newsletter

Want to read more stories like Hugo's, keep up with the latest pet wellbeing news, or perhaps you just want to support PDSA? Get your latest PDSA news with our Newsletter.

Sign up now

A little treat

Looking to pamper your pet? Why not shop some of our vet-approved products! When you buy with us, you'll help pets like Winston.

Shop now