German Shepherd puppy, Narla, gets the CHOC of her life after eating a deadly amount of dark chocolate and raisins

A seven-month-old German Shepherd from Barnsley needed life-saving treatment after gorging on a lethal dose of dark chocolate and raisins.

Owner Victoria Day from Mapplewell, Barnsley, said: “We went to the corner shop very briefly, leaving Narla in the kitchen with the safety gate on. And while we were out she must have jumped over the gate and into the living room where my kids had left out some dark chocolate with raisins.

“Narla started being sick repeatedly so I rang the Sheffield PDSA Pet Hospital, who told me to bring her straight in.”

Although Narla had been sick at home, with the toxic risk that both chocolate and raisins pose to dogs, she was hospitalised and put on a drip to flush any remaining toxins out of her body. Narla’s condition meant she needed close monitoring and a two night stay at the Pet Hospital, under close supervision of the vet team. Theobromine, the chemical in chocolate, can cause seizures and heart problems and as Narla had eaten raisins as well, her kidney function needed to be closely monitored through blood tests, as raisins can cause kidney failure in some dogs.

PDSA Senior Vet Robert Haselgrove said: “Chocolate can be extremely poisonous to dogs. Even small amounts can be dangerous – but even more so in Narla’s case after eating 500g of dark chocolate with raisins. Raisins can be highly toxic to dogs too, which is why we were very concerned her kidneys could have been affected.

Image of Narla recovering with her owner who holds a large bar of chocolate

“The amount of chocolate Narla had eaten could have been lethal without treatment but thankfully we were able to provide life-saving treatment before it was too late.”

Owner Victoria Day added: “I’m so grateful to PDSA for everything they did for Narla – they saved her life and I don’t know what our family would have done without them.

“It was an extremely worrying time for everyone in our family and my children were beside themselves too, fearing she might not make it. We want to tell Narla’s story to stop other people going through the same horrific ordeal.”

Robert added: “Without rapid treatment, chocolate poisoning can cause seizures, heart problems and in severe cases, death. It’s best to contact the vet as soon as you notice your pet’s eaten something they shouldn’t rather than waiting for symptoms, as by the time you see these signs the toxin has already passed into the body.”

If you think your pet might have eaten something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately as they might need urgent treatment.

For more information on what foods might be poisonous to our pets, visit: www.pdsa.org.uk/poisons.

PDSA is the UK’s leading veterinary charity. Through our 48 Pet Hospitals and Pet Care scheme, we save the lives of poorly pets who would otherwise be left untreated.

Every year, we helped over 388,000 pets. Without us, emergency cases like Narla's would be left untreated and many pets could lose their lives or be separated from families who love them.

We wouldn’t be here for dogs like Narla without your support. Please consider donating today.

Help pets like Narla

We are doing everything we can to keep our vet services running during this difficult time. But we need your help - now more than ever before.

Your help will save pets like Narla

Every £1 donated will help us make sure poorly pets get the life-saving treatment they need.

Donate to PDSA

Where to next

Chocolate poisoning in pets

Get vet-approved advice on chocolate poisoning in dogs and cats on our Pet Health Hub.

Visit the hub

Sign up to our newsletter

Want to read more stories like Narla's, keep up with the latest pet wellbeing news, or perhaps you just want to support PDSA? Get your latest PDSA news with our Newsletter.

Sign up today