How to leave PDSA a gift in your Will
If you’ve decided to leave PDSA a gift in your Will – thank you! Legacy donations are so important to us and your gift will help us continue saving the nation’s pets.
There are a few steps you’ll need to take to change your Will to include your gift to PDSA. You can download our free Gifts in Wills booklet to help get you started:
Know your options for leaving a gift in your Will
There are two main types of gift you can leave PDSA in your Will. Whichever you choose is up to you – we would recommend discussing this with your solicitor.
- A percentage of your estate (residuary legacy). You can choose to leave PDSA a certain percentage of your estate in your Will. This means that PDSA will receive a donation once the value of all your money, property and possessions has been calculated. This can be taken off the value of your estate before Inheritance Tax is calculated. Alternatively, if you choose to leave more than 10% of your estate to us, your Inheritance Tax rate will be reduced.
- A fixed donation (pecuniary legacy). Alternatively, you can choose to leave a fixed donation to PDSA in your Will. This is usually a fixed amount of money or a certain item. We will receive this when your solicitor or executor carry out your Will.
Changing your Will
In order to include a gift to PDSA in your Will, you will need to update it. This can be done in a few steps.
- Find a solicitor. If you haven’t already got one, find a solicitor as they will be able to help you with your Will.
- Work on the wording. When it comes to the wording, you need to be very specific to make sure your wishes are carried out accurately. We recommend the following wordings:
Wording to include part or all of your estate (residuary legacy): I GIVE (percentage --%) of the residue of my estate after payment of funeral and testamentary expenses and debts to The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals of Whitechapel Way, Priorslee, Telford, Shropshire TF2 9PQ. Registered charity nos. 208217 and SC037585.
Wording to include a fixed sum of money (pecuniary legacy): I GIVE absolutely and free of all tax the sum of (amount in words and numbers £XXX) to The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals of Whitechapel Way, Priorslee, Telford, Shropshire, TF2 9PQ. Registered charity nos. 208217 & SC037585.
- Register your Will. Make sure your Will is registered. We have teamed up with the Certainty National Will Register to provide you with free Will registration. This would usually cost £30.
Making changes or updating your Will
There are a few ways to make an amend to your Will to include your gift to PDSA.
- Visit your solicitor. You can visit your solicitor in order to include a gift in your Will. You may incur a small cost – ask your solicitor first.
- Write a codicil. This allows you to make amends to an existing Will and you can use our suggested wording above. It will need to be signed and witnesses in the same way as your Will. It is important that this is then kept with your original Will so it doesn’t get lost. Adding a codicil may incur a charge. Download our codicil booklet for more information.
- Write a new Will. Sometimes if you have a lot of amends or have made a lot of amends to your Will, it is more cost effective to write a new one. This also means that amends and codicils are less likely to be separated from your original Will and cause problems. You can use our free Will writing service to write a Will.
Below are some links to tools and information that may help you when you’re leaving a gift to PDSA in your Will:
- Find a solicitor: http://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/?Pro=False
- Register your Will: https://www.nationalwillregister.co.uk/willregister/willregister.aspx
- Remember a Charity: https://www.rememberacharity.org.uk/charities/the-peoples-dispensary-for-sick-animals-pdsa/
- Government advice on making a Will: https://www.gov.uk/make-will/