First aid for an electric shock in pets
What to do if your pet is electrocuted?
Stop the shock
- If your pet is still being electrocuted, do not approach them until you have switched the power source off - electricity is as dangerous for you as your pet.
- If you can’t reach the power switch, turn the main fuse box off.
- If you can’t turn the power off, try using a non-conducting pole (such as a wooden broom) to separate your pet from the live wire. Never use anything metal to move your pet.
- Be particularly careful if the area around your pet is wet - water conducts electricity.
Check your pet
- Once the power is off check your pet’s heartbeat and breathing.
- If they have stopped breathing, start CPR and ring your vet immediately.
- If they are breathing, check your pet for other injuries and burns (especially in their mouth).
- Wrap your pet up to keep them warm.
Call your vet
- Call your vet for advice.
- All pets that have had an electric shock should be checked by a vet because there may be internal/delayed injuries that are not obvious to begin with.
Published: March 2020
Did you find this page useful?
Tell us more
Please note, our vets and nurses are unable to respond to questions via this form. If you are concerned about your pet’s health, please contact your vet directly.
Thank you for your feedback
Want to hear more about PDSA and get pet care tips from our vet experts?Sign up to our e-newsletter
PetWise Pet Health Hub – brought to you thanks to support from players of People’s Postcode Lottery
Written by vets and vet nurses. This advice is for UK pets only.
Illustrations by Samantha Elmhurst