Sponge dog’s second chance

27 July 2015

Shih Tzu swallows kitchen scourer WHOLE

A Shih Tzu had his life saved by vet charity PDSA after swallowing a whole kitchen sponge, complete with scouring pad.

Alfie, who is 20 months old, was keeping his owner Maria Bird company as she cleaned the bathroom when he swiped a clean sponge from the packet and swallowed it whole.

Little Alfie seemed fine following his foamy snack, but owner Maria knew his naughty nibbling could cause him some serious harm.

Maria (53) from Jarrow, said: “Alfie has always been a mischief-maker but I was astounded when he wolfed down the sponge in one go! He seemed absolutely fine but I knew he could be in deep trouble. I rushed him straight to PDSA where vets checked him over.”

Vet Nurse Caroline Watson was on duty at PDSA’s Gateshead Pet Hospital when Alfie was brought in. She said:

“We gave Alfie an injection to make him sick and thankfully, the medicine worked its magic quickly. Thanks to the speedy actions of Maria, Alfie avoided a far worse fate, as when pets swallow foreign bodies, they can cause tears or fatal blockages in the digestive system.

“We were amazed that such a small dog managed to swallow a sponge of that size – it can’t have been very pleasant going down or coming back up again!”

Alfie returned home shortly after his ordeal and returned to his usual self. Maria concluded: “I am so grateful to PDSA for their fast action and help with Alfie. We are keeping a close eye on him to make sure he doesn’t snaffle any other spongy treats again!”

PDSA advises owners to contact their vet for advice straight away if they suspect their pets have eaten something they shouldn’t.

For more pet health advice visit our pet health pages.