Egyptian Mau Breed Information
Egyptian Mau’s normally require high levels of exercise and can get this if they have safe, secure access to a garden. They may even learn to play fetch if you throw suitable toys for them.
They are often seen and not heard, preferring to lie on your lap over talking to you. They seem to love jumping high, so providing them with a cat tree will enable them to jump to somewhere safely.
Breed-related health problems:
Owners are, understandably, upset when their cat develops a health problem linked to its breed. Often they wish they’d known what problems the breed was prone to have. The potential health problems that Egyptian Maus are prone to include:
- Pyruvate kinase deficiency – a rare disease in which the pyruvate kinase enzyme normally found in red blood cells is lacking, meaning the red blood cells die quicker, and fewer are in circulation causing anaemia. The anaemia is often mild and intermittent clinical signs may not be noticed until the cat is quite old.
Although their coat shouldn’t require regular grooming, they enjoy the interaction that comes from being brushed.
Estimated cost over lifetime:
These costs are based on essential items such as:
- A bed, litter and tray
- Grooming items
- Food and bowl
- Preventive treatment such as flea, worming, vaccinations and neutering
- Cat carrier
- Pet insurance
This does not include initial purchase cost, non-essential items (such as holiday care) or potential veterinary treatment of which an excess needs to be paid before your pet may be covered by pet insurance.
Insure your Egyptian Mau Cat with PDSA:
1 in 3 pets need vet treatment each year and vet bills can come to hundreds of pounds. PDSA Pet Insurance can give you peace of mind when your cat is poorly, especially for breeds like Egyptian Mau that are prone to certain conditions. PDSA Pet Insurance offers:
- 5 Star Pet Insurance* - from the vet experts
- 4 levels of cover to suit you
- Monthly payment at no extra cost
*Defaqto 5 Star rating applies to our Plus and Premier policies only. Defaqto’s Star Ratings provide an independent assessment of the quality of financial products.
By insuring your Egyptian Mau cat with PDSA you’ll also be helping to provide vet care to some of the UK’s neediest pets.