Common conditions in cats and kittens
In 2018, PDSA Pet Insurance received over 1,000 cat related claims! Some of the most common conditions claimed for included:
- Hyperthyroidism. When the thyroid gland produces too much hormone. If left untreated, an overactive thyroid could cause heart failure, blindness or even be fatal.
- Urinary disorders. From struggling to go to the toilet to bladder stones – unfortunately there are a lot of disorders your cat could suffer from. You can read more on our PetWise Pet Health Hub.
- Digestive disorders. From a mild tummy upset, to a food allergy. Our cats’ stomachs are very sensitive!
- Cystitis. Some cats are prone to getting cystitis throughout their lives (this is called ‘feline idiopathic cystitis’). This is often linked to stress, so try to keep your cat as chilled out as possible!
- Teeth/gum problems. Tooth problems are fairly common in cats as they get older – believe it or not, the best way to stop this is to brush your cat’s teeth! You can read more on dental problems in cats on our Hub.
You can read more about the top 10 conditions in pets, as put together by our vets!
What doesn’t insurance cover?
While you're covered if your feline friend needs a trip to the vet, there are a few things insurance doesn't cover. This includes:
You’ll need to keep preventative treatments up-to-date, as they’ll help stop your cat from getting any preventable illnesses. If you’re worried about the cost, speak to your vet as they may offer a pay monthly package to cover these treatments.
Want to know more about PDSA Pet Insurance insurance? Ready to get a quote? Click below to learn more and get your quote in under three minutes!
*Subject to availability.
**Advance, Advance Plus, Ultimate and Ultimate Plus policies only. PDSA Pet Insurance will contribute to the cost of your pet's prescription food up to a maximum of £100 per period of insurance. Read policy wording for full terms.
^Subject to lifetime policy renewal.
~Taken from PDSA data 2018
PDSA Trading Limited is an introducer appointed representative of BDML Connect Limited. PDSA Petsurance is a trading name of BDML Connect Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (No. 309140). Registered in England and Wales Number 2785540. Registered Office: 45 Westerham Road, Bessels Green, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN13 2QB.