- RHD is also known as VHD, RVHD or ‘Rabbit Viral Haemorrhagic Disease’.
- RHD is caused by a virus, it causes severe symptoms and often death.
- It’s common in wild rabbits and spreads easily to pet rabbits.
- RHD spreads through the air, by insect bites or by contact with an infected rabbit.
- There are two types of RHD
- RHD1 – causes very sudden disease and is fatal nearly all of the time.
- RHD2 – takes slightly longer to develop (5-10 days) and is fatal in 50% of cases.
- Vaccinate your rabbits against both RHD1 and RHD2 to protect them fully from this serious disease.