First aid for poisons and toxins
- Many different house and garden items can be dangerous for pets.
- It can sometimes take hours or days for your pet to show signs of poisoning/toxicity.
- Phone your vet ASAP if you think your pet may have eaten something poisonous.
- Acting fast can make a big difference to your pet - it could even save their life.
What to do if your pet comes into contact with something poisonous
Step one: Remove the item/substance
- Remove the poisonous/toxic substance.
- If they still have any in their mouth, tempt them drop it by using a treat or toy.
- If they have any of it on their fur, remove it.
Step two: Check if it’s poisonous/toxic
- Check our list of common poisons, contact the animal poisons line or call your vet.
- Never wait to see if your pet develops symptoms - symptoms can develop straight away or take hours-days.
Step three: If the item is poisonous/toxic
- Phone your vet straight away- they will tell you what to do and book you an emergency appointment if needed.
- Don’t try to make your pet sick unless your vet tells you to - sometimes it can cause more damage than good.
- If you have any packaging/remains of the item, take them or photos of them to the appointment - it might help your vet.
Published: March 2020
Did you find this page useful?
Tell us more
Thank you for your feedback
Want to hear more about PDSA and get pet care tips from our vet experts?Sign up to our e-newsletter
PetWise Pet Health Hub – brought to you thanks to support from players of People’s Postcode Lottery
Written by vets and vet nurses. This advice is for UK pets only.
Illustrations by Samantha Elmhurst