PDSA Education Centre
At PDSA we are passionate about educating children about pets. We believe it’s important for children to learn to care for and respect animals – as this helps them grow up to become the caring and compassionate pet owners of the future. We think it’s vital to ensure the next generation know how to care for their pets and stay safe around animals – and we love working with teachers to inspire and engage young people. We've got loads of great educational resources for you to download, or you can book a talk with one of our Community and Education Vet Nurses.
Take a look at how we can help you...
- Talks from vet professionals all about pets
- PDSA Enterprise Day
- PetWise School Award
- Downloads for kids
- Free resources
- Children's individual membership
Talks from vet professionals all about pets
Our sessions are free and are available for all ages. Our unique sessions are delivered by our experienced team of Community Education Vet Nurses and are based on PowerPoint presentations with a selection of animal videos, group participation and activities.
We’ll do our best to fulfil as many requests as possible, but in the event that we can’t visit, we’ll send you fantastic resources to deliver your own sessions.
Our sessions support the National Curriculum across Key Stages 1, 2 & 3 and support community social action plans. All of our experts are fully insured and DBS checked with an enhanced disclosure.
Further Education sessions can be delivered by prior arrangement depending on resources and availability. Please book a talk via our online form or email our Community and Education team to discuss your requirements at email@example.com
- An Introduction to PDSA – An overview of PDSA, the work we do and how we help. Shares amazing stories of the pets PDSA has helped. Ideally, you should allow 30 minutes for this session, however it can be flexible. This session works best as a whole school assembly.
- Get PetWise – This session provides an overview of what pets need to be healthy and happy. Based on the care of dogs, cats and rabbits, it teaches the audience how to be responsible pet owners. (1 hour)
- Canine Communication – Identifies how to recognise what dogs are telling us through their body language and how to stay safe around dogs. (1 hour)
- Animal Heroes – Looks at the brave and heroic acts of animals from war time to today, PDSA's medal programme and its animal recipients. This session also shares the amazing stories of everyday pets in society.
- Get Set for the Right Pet – This session covers the costs associated with owning popular pets with a Maths focus for audiences of appropriate ages and encourages the audience to make an informed decision when choosing a pet.
- In the Pet Hospital – This session brings the Pet Hospital to the audience. you will be taken on a journey through the hospital, following one of our special patients through his treatment programme. It will introduce you to different careers within the hospital and, for Key Stage 3 and above, identifies the qualification criteria required to pursue a veterinary career.
All of our sessions can be adapted for learners with special educational needs. We're always happy to discuss your specific requirements.
Sessions for Nursery and Reception children last for 30 minutes and all other sessions last for 60 minutes.
As a charity, we need to make sure our limited resources are used as efficiently as possible. Therefore, we like to deliver to as many year groups as we can in one visit, to make the best use of our nurses’ time and reduce our travel costs - We appreciate in advance your support in trying to arrange as many sessions as possible.
If you’re unable to arrange multiple sessions, we would appreciate time to deliver a whole school assembly.
For all sessions, (excluding assemblies), each child will need to be equipped with paper and writing material and we recommend holding the session in a classroom environment.
Please note, a teacher/adult supervisor MUST be present at all times to supervise the class.
Please be advised that we do not bring live animals to our sessions. This is to ensure our nurses’ focus is on the learning and the pupils.
What schools say about our visits:
Cockton Primary School
'The content was excellent and it fit nicely with current priorities in school such as respect, responsibility and British values. The children were all engaged for the whole session – lovely resources and a friendly speaker, who pitched all questions perfectly for Y2 children. Thank you!'
Collingwood Primary School
'A great session! Pitched at the right level for our children with careful use of vocabulary. They all thoroughly enjoyed it. A nice mix of teaching aids including; PowerPoint, videos and practical activities. Brilliant!'
We’ll do our best to fulfil as many requests as possible, but in the event that we can’t visit, we’ll send you fantastic resources to deliver your own sessions. * We can offer sessions within an hour's drive time of the following: Kirkcaldy;Fife, Shiremoor; Tyne and Wear, Dukinfield; Cheshire, Carlton; Nottingham and London SE15. For all schools and groups outside of this area, we can provide resources for you to deliver your own sessions.
Hold a PDSA Enterprise Day
If you’d like to take a more curriculum-based approach to raise money for sick and injured pets, then why not hold an Enterprise Day as part of your Enrichment Programme?
The activities help develop children’s social, economic, communication and inter-personal skills, while enhancing their interest in the STEM subjects.
The day is designed to give children an insight into how the business world works as well as promoting teamwork.
The PetWise Award
Are you a school teacher looking for a fun, curriculum-linked topic that can be taught over a term or are you a parent looking for a free, educational project that your children can do at home? Well why not support PDSA by signing up to our PetWise Award.
The award consists of four easy-to-follow levels, each one crammed full with activities. Every session comes complete with a step-by-step lesson plan, a PowerPoint presentation and worksheets – there’s no need for any planning & children can work either independently or with an adult.
Children will receive an e-certificate once they’ve completed the course & a complimentary lanyard & pin badge.
Downloads for kids
Find out how to keep your pets healthy and happy by downloading your free info guides.
Why not raise some money for poorly pets by downloading these free activity sheets?
Download our free resources
Our fantastic free resources have moved to our new PetWise page, but you don't have to miss out! Visit the new pages to check out all of our great free resources:
Join our Pet Protectors Club!
Please note: Due to the current Coronavirus pandemic, unfortunately we are not able to welcome any new Pet Protectors at the moment. We understand that you may be disappointed, but please keep checking back for updates. In the meantime, why not read about becoming a vet or nurse, or meet some of our amazing pet patients that our vet teams were able to help
Pet Protectors is our junior membership club for kids who love pets or want to be vets. Members get:
- A personalised membership pack, crammed with goodies AND a free gift.
- Animal Antics magazine delivered to your door every 2 months
- The chance to enter exclusive competitions and win prizes, including VIP tours behind-the-scenes in our Pet Hospitals.
You can find out more by visiting our Pet Protectors page.