How we can help
If you are receiving benefits and live within the postcode catchment area of one of our Pet Hospitals or Pet Care Scheme practices you should be eligible for our help.
We offer a range of different services to household pets.
The support we are able to provide eligible owners will depend on what benefits you are receiving and where you live.
- Our Pet Hospitals provide free and low cost veterinary treatments and medications for eligible pet owners.
- Our Pet Care Scheme practices offer eligible pet owners access to low-cost treatments.
Unfortunately PDSA is not able to provide financial aid.
PDSA Pet Hospitals
If you live within the postcode catchment area of one of our Pet Hospitals, and you are receiving benefits, you should qualify for treatments and help with the cost of prescribed medications for your pets*.
Our Pet Hospitals treat cats, dogs, rabbits and other small pets described as 'small furries'.
Free Service - free treatments and medications
To qualify for free treatments and medications, you must live within the postcode catchment area of one of our Pet Hospitals and be receiving at least one of the following benefits:
- Housing benefit (means tested)
- Council tax support (means tested)
- Universal credit with housing element
Our Free Service is only available for one pet per household. Any additional pets can be registered for our Low Cost Service.*
Low Cost Service – low cost treatments and medications
To qualify for low cost treatments and medications, you must live within the postcode catchment area of one of our Pet Hospitals and be receiving at least one of the following benefits:
- Child tax and working tax credits
- Universal credit without housing element
- Pension credit
- Income support
- Job seekers allowance
- ESA – (Income Based Only) Employment Support Allowance
- Disability Living Allowance (DLA) / Personal Independence Payment (PIP) / Adult Disability Payment (ADP)
- State retired pensioners who are householders living in council tax bands a – d
Our low cost prices are typically 20% to 30% lower than private veterinary practices. This can vary, depending on the treatment.
There is no limit to the number of pets you can register for our Low Cost Service.
Pet Care Scheme
If you do not live near one of our Pet Hospitals, but you are receiving benefits, you may be eligible for our Pet Care scheme.
The Pet Care scheme is run with partner veterinary practices, allowing you to pay a small monthly amount to get access to low-cost treatments for cats and dogs, along with other help to keep your pet healthy.
To qualify for Pet Care Scheme you must live within the postcode catchment area of a participating practice and be receiving at least one of the following benefits:
- Housing Benefit
- Means-tested support with Council Tax
- Universal Credit with Housing Element
- Rate Relief (Northern Ireland only)
How can we help?
If you are receiving benefits, you can use our Eligibility Checker to find out what help we can give you and your pet.
PDSA Pet Hospitals
Already registered at a PDSA Pet Hospital? Find out more about the services we are currently offering.
Pet Care Scheme
Find out more about our Pet Care scheme.
* 1 pet treated for free (unless it's a small furry / rabbit where you get 2 for free). Your free pet must be nominated and cannot be changed without good reason.