Dog dodges death after wolfing down illegal drugs

21 October 2015

PDSA urges vigilance after saving dog who ate class A drugs

PDSA vets today warned pet owners to be vigilant after a whippet nearly died from eating Ecstasy tablets while walking with his elderly owner. 

17-month-old Blue, from Bradford, was enjoying a walk with his owner, who wishes to remain anonymous, when he sniffed something out and gobbled up the contents. 

His owner rushed over to investigate and was horrified to discover Blue was eating small blue heart-shaped tablets from a plastic bag. Worried that another dog or even a child may come across them, the owner took Blue and the tablets home. 

Before long, Blue became unsteady on his feet and started foaming at the mouth. 

PDSA was called immediately for advice and Blue was rushed to the charity’s Pet Hospital in Bradford. 

PDSA Head Nurse Miriam Wilson explained: “When Blue arrived, his condition was critical. He’d collapsed and the toxins were causing organ failure. He was admitted and life-saving treatment was started straight away. He was put on an IV drip and received activated charcoal to absorb the toxins. Without the treatment, he would not have survived the night.”

The PDSA vet team monitored Blue overnight, and thankfully, he went on to make a full recovery and is now back to his lively self.  

The incident was reported to the police, who came and collected the drugs and disposed of them safely. 

PDSA Head Nurse Miriam advises owners to speak to their vet immediately for advice if they suspect their pets have eaten something they shouldn’t: “There are lots of hidden dangers around the home and garden, as well as out in the wider world, that our pets may sniff out. If you think they have swallowed something then get it checked at once.”

Click here for further advice regarding poisons and hazards.


Your donations make a world of difference to poorly pets like Blue.

Donate to PDSA