Canine Surprise! X-ray reveals toy Minion in dog’s stomach
09 October 2015
PDSA vets and nurses came to the rescue when a hungry pooch gobbled down a chocolate egg.
There were no prizes for guessing which toy was lurking inside Chase’s stomach after an x-ray revealed a Minion hiding within the plastic shell.
The eleven-year-old Staffordshire Bull Terrier from Romford, helped himself to the despicable treat, which was meant for a family member. But despite chocolate being toxic to dogs and having swallowed a whole plastic egg, Chase showed no symptoms of his crime.
Owner Terry Shad, said: “Chase ate the Kinder Egg whole and although the chocolate didn’t make him sick, we were all really worried that the plastic egg inside could be dangerous for him so I took him to PDSA in Romford.”
The veterinary team our Pet Hospital in Romford, The Julie and Robert Breckman Centre, x-rayed Chase to find out where the egg was in his body before operating to retrieve it.
PDSA’s Head Nurse, Sarah Burt, said: “When Chase came to us you wouldn’t have known he was in danger because he was very alert and lively, but thankfully his owners had seen him swallow the egg and brought him to us. We took an x-ray which showed not only where the toy was in Chase’s body, but we could also make out roughly what the toy was.
“Thankfully the egg and Minion toy were still in Chase’s stomach, because if it had moved into his intestines it could have caused a blockage which may have created worse problems and even been fatal.
“Surgery of this nature is very invasive so we had to keep Chase in overnight, but the operation went well and he should be back to his usual self again very soon.”
Terry says: “I’m so grateful to the vets and nurses at PDSA, there’s no way we could have afforded private veterinary fees for the treatment he has needed, so I don’t know what we would have done without PDSA. My children have been really worried about Chase, so it’s reassuring to know PDSA is there in an emergency.”
Romford PDSA Pet Hospital, the Julie and Robert Breckman Centre, provides free veterinary treatment for more than 8,000 pets at a cost of £1 million every year. The charity relies solely on voluntary donations to provide this service.