Manx cats are playful but not overly active, and are often happiest following you around to keep an eye on what you are doing. They are not normally overly vocal and may speak in a quiet voice. They like to curl up on your lap when you are sat down relaxing.
Although not regularly seen jumping or climbing, they can jump to quite a height if they feel the need.
Breed-related health problems:
Owners are, understandably, upset when their cat develops a health problem linked to its breed. Often they wish they’d known what problems the breed was prone to have. The potential health problems that Manx are prone to include:
- Corneal dystrophy – a cloudiness of the eyes that can begin to develop when a kitten is approximately four months old
- Manx syndrome – a collection of birth defects that may include urinary tract problems, digestive problems, and a spine which is too short. These often develop before a kitten reaches 4 months of age.
We’d recommend discussing the medical history of your potential kitten’s parents and grandparents, and think very carefully before taking on a cat with any of the health conditions listed above evident in the family line.
Although the Manx coat is short, they have a double coat so will need regular grooming to remove the dead fur from underneath.
Estimated cost over lifetime:
These costs are based on essential items such as:
- A bed, litter and tray
- Grooming items
- Food and bowl
- Preventive treatment such as flea, worming, vaccinations and neutering
- Cat carrier
- Pet insurance
This does not include initial purchase cost, non-essential items (such as holiday care) or potential veterinary treatment of which an excess needs to be paid before your pet may be covered by pet insurance.
Insure your Manx Cat with PDSA:
1 in 3 pets need vet treatment each year and vet bills can come to hundreds of pounds. PDSA Pet Insurance can give you peace of mind when your cat is poorly, especially for breeds like Manx that are prone to certain conditions. PDSA Pet Insurance offers:
- 5 Star Pet Insurance* - from the vet experts
- 4 levels of cover to suit you
- Monthly payment at no extra cost
*Defaqto 5 Star rating applies to our Plus and Premier policies only. Defaqto’s Star Ratings provide an independent assessment of the quality of financial products.
By insuring your Manx cat with PDSA you’ll also be helping to provide vet care to some of the UK’s neediest pets.