- Distemper is a disease caused by a virus. The virus spreads easily between dogs.
- It causes a wide range of symptoms including a cough, runny eyes and nose, diarrhoea, high temperature, thickened pads, tremors and fits.
- Many dogs will not survive distemper and sadly, some become so poorly they have to be put to sleep.
- Vaccination has meant we now rarely see distemper in the UK, but it does still occur in areas with many unvaccinated dogs.
- Vaccination is an excellent way to protect your dog from distemper.