Lucky Luna nearly lost her life after lily lark

Kitten saved by Huyton PDSA Pet Hospital after eating toxic pollen.

Luna, a Ragamuffin kitten, was just four months old when her owner, Emily Pryce (29), received a bouquet of flowers for her birthday. The flowers included lilies and Emily had placed these on a table, thinking they would be out of harm’s way, knowing how dangerous lilies could be to cats.

However, Emily came home from work one day to find Luna with pollen around her mouth, immediately contacted her local vet. They advised Luna would probably need urgent treatment, but an overnight stay and all the treatment could cost around a thousand pounds.

Emily said: “I checked our insurance paperwork only to find out that it had run out the day before! Although I work, I couldn’t afford to pay that much upfront.

“But I knew I had to get Luna the help she needed, so I rang PDSA. They advised that I was eligible for their new reduced-cost service. They told me to bring her straight in, and it was such a relief to know that she would get the treatment she needed.”

Photo of Luna in hospital

The vet team examined Luna at PDSA and blood tests confirmed that she had eaten enough pollen to cause potential kidney failure, so she needed urgent treatment.

She stayed at PDSA for two nights, receiving round-the-clock care to help her recover. Her confident and friendly nature meant she quickly became a firm favourite with the team, and her care plan included plenty of cuddles as well!

Thankfully, with intensive support to remove the toxins from her system, Luna remained stable and was able to go home a few days later. But not all cases have a happy ending like hers.

Veterinary Care Assistant, Jemma Hughes, said: “Lilies have become quite popular in Easter bouquets, but all parts of the plant, including the flower and leaves are toxic to cats. The biggest danger is if a cat gets some of the pollen on their fur, then grooms themselves, as ingesting even a small amount can be fatal.”

PDSA advises people not to give lilies to anyone with cats, and for owners to be aware of the dangers.

An image of Luna in a basket

Jemma continued: “All members of the lily family [Lilium] are toxic to cats, and a number of other plants can also pose a danger to pets, including peace lilies [Spathiphyllum], daffodils, Lily-of-the-Valley [Convallaria], Laburnum, Azalea and Cherry Laurel. If you think your pet may have eaten something they shouldn’t, call your vet immediately for advice. The quicker they get treatment the more likely it is they will survive.”

Relieved owner Emily said: “PDSA made such a huge difference – the care was great and the staff were so lovely. I would’ve done whatever it took to get Luna the care she needed, but it would’ve been a struggle financially, so this took a huge weight off my mind.”

There are many more toxic plants pet owners should be aware of. Be mindful of poisonous plants in your home and garden and try to avoid them at all costs. When seasons change, different plants will grow so familiarise yourself with these. Even popular summer and autumn flowers like geraniums and hydrangeas contain toxins that can be fatal to your dog or cat.

Luna’s treatment ended up costing Emily around £200 thanks to PDSA’s reduced-cost service, which enables owners on low incomes in receipt of a wide range of benefits to receive affordable vet care for their pets.

PDSA is the UK’s leading veterinary charity. Through our 48 Pet Hospitals and Pet Care scheme, we save the lives of poorly pets who would otherwise be left untreated.

Every year, we helped over 388,000 pets. Without us, emergency cases like Luna’s would be left untreated and many pets could lose their lives or be separated from families who love them.

We wouldn’t be here for cats like Luna without your support. Please consider donating today.

Help pets like Luna

We are doing everything we can to keep our vet services running during this difficult time. But we need your help - now more than ever before.

Your help will save pets like Luna

Every £1 donated will help us make sure poorly pets get the life-saving treatment they need.

Donate now

Where to next?

What to do if you cat eats something poisonous

Our vets have put together vital first aid advice for pets that have come in contact with poisonous substances like Luna did.

Visit the Hub

Sign up to our newsletter

Want to read more stories like Luna's, keep up with the latest pet wellbeing news, or perhaps you just want to support PDSA? Get your latest PDSA news with our Newsletter.

Sign up today

A little treat

Looking to pamper your pet? Why not shop some of our vet-approved products! When you buy with us, you'll help pets like Luna.

Shop now