- Leptospirosis is a nasty disease caused by bacteria.
- It causes damage to the liver and kidneys and is, sadly, often fatal.
- Leptospirosis spreads via other infected dogs, mice, rats and cows and can also be caught from infected water.
- Your dog is at higher risk of catching leptospirosis if they regularly kill rodents, live on a farm or spend a lot of time in water.
- Leptospirosis can infect people and is commonly known as Weil’s disease.
- Fortunately, we can vaccinate against leptospirosis – keep your dog protected with regular boosters.